Evan Johnson Nature and Art Photography

Creative Commons License All Photos Licensed - Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike
welcome to Photography Exposure, a digital & film photo blog

11/28/10

Qtpfsgui Review

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing luminance.

No this isn't a test post, I really am reviewing Qtpfsgui. Please ignore the lorem ipsum.

Qtpfsgui is an open source HDR imaging tool that, with some experimentation, can produce some great HDR photos for free. I thought I would throw this review up before part three of my HDR series is complete.

First I have to give credit to the tutorial that sparked my interest when I started doing some research on HDR.

This won't get you going on its own though, as a little prior knowledge is required to understand the systems. Mostly basic stuff you can learn by opening up the program and browsing the buttons and menus.

complex button
As for Qtpfsgui, I couldn't believe how easy it was to use.

You start with the input of your three or more bracketed images. Then chose the defaults or tweak some settings. After processing your image you just experiment with preset tone mapping algorithms.

Ok... so it isn't exactly the easiest program to use, but it is free. Some of the more expensive HDR systems are a little easier for the beginner to use. For the free route, you'll just have to do a little research first.

..and like many of the free software/tools I review here - qtpfsgui is available on Linux, Mac and Windows

Make your own HDR images and download Qtpfsgui.

2 comments:

Feel free to critique my photographs.

Then subscribe in the sidebar.

Thanks, Evan